How to Help
“The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40: 28b-31
Words cannot describe the blessing and strength God has given us through the prayers of His people over the past several years. This is by far the biggest means of support we have received and continue to receive since Peter’s accident in 2010. We ask that you continue to pray faithfully for Peter, and for us.
Many of you have also requested information about how to support our family in practical ways in addition to praying for Peter. There are two main ways you can do this:
CONTRIBUTE YOUR TIME
For those of you who live locally, there are several ways your time and energy can be a blessing. Here are some things that would be helpful to us:
- Extra helpers for therapy sessions with Peter.
- Household help for things like cleaning and preparing meals.
- Commit for a period of time to becoming a trained helper with set hours for Peter’s healthcare needs. Peter requires 24/7 supervision and care, and there are some night shifts needed.
We carry a large amount of Peter’s healthcare costs ourselves and there are always ongoing needs. It has been amazing to see how God has always provided above and beyond what we have needed, even without sharing our needs regularly. However, some of you have requested information for a bank account to contribute to regularly. We are in the process of setting that up. In the meantime, please see the following ways you can contribute:
- Support for the cost of purchasing a bigger house to accommodate helpers for Peter (see this post).
- Donors to make funds available for supplementing (food, expenses) provisions for the helpers.
- Fund for care provider uncertainties (such as health, relocation, seasonal help, etc.), and various other necessities involving Peter’s care.
- $6,000+ (materials) to add a room to the house they are buying for extra help to live with them.
- $1,000 for minor changes to the bathroom Peter will be using.
- Ongoing healthcare costs.
Anyone interested in meeting these needs can donate to the following link: http://tilt.tc/qXx0 until the end of August, or send checks addressed to Doug Helms and sent to:
2009 Rock Creek Rd
Crowley, TX 76036
Additionally, you can donate on PayPal at: email@example.com.
DISCLAIMER: The funds that are donated will be administered by Doug and Selah Helms to be used at their discretion for Peter’s care. In the future this will change, but not immediately.